The Vortex Viper PST is the perfect long distance scope packed to the brim with useful features.
I personally bought and hand tested this scope to see just how well all these features perform.
By the time you finish reading this Vortex Viper PST 6-24×50 review, you’ll know if this scope is for you.
Let’s dive right in!
The glass is one of the best parts of this scope.
The extra-low dispersion glass makes the image incredibly crisp, and the multiple coatings increase the amount of light as well as reduce any risk of reflecting.
Even when fully magnified there was no blurring or distortion near the edges. It’s so clear I could have it double as a spotting scope if needed.
The illuminated crosshair is especially nice on bright days, and Vortex even included a great feature for the illumination.
There is an off position between each level of light, so it’s far easier to quickly switch on the light level that you require.
Even when fully zoomed, the reticle did a good job of not being too busy and distracting me from the target. I do recommend the MRAD reticle over the MOA, as the turrets are designed for MRAD.
The eye relief is a generous 4”.
There’s really no risk of getting bitten by the scope, no matter what rifle you mount it on. Even at max distance it never came close.
Eye fatigue is a complete non-issue. The incredibly clear glass causes no eye strain at all.
The eye box is also very generous, and while it got tighter at higher magnifications it still caused me no problems.
Like most Vortex scopes, the Vortex Viper PST was designed to withstand all kinds of abuse.
I’m not gentle while testing my scopes. Even after banging it around and having it fully submerged in water, it not only continued to hold zero perfectly, but showed no signs of damage from the abuse.
The scope is made from a single tube of aircraft grade aluminum. Nothing short of a hammer is going to damage it.
It’s also O-ring sealed and argon purged, so fogging and water damage are nothing to worry about.
The turrets on the Vortex Viper PST are perfect.
They are solid and firm, with each turn producing a clean audible click. The adjustment process was a quick and precise one. It also has a zero stop system to easily return to zero after adjustments.
The best part?
It only took me 5 rounds to find my zero, and it still held zero after 50 more rounds.
The parallax adjustment turret also gives nice audible clicks, and is set for 50 yards to infinity.
The magnification is 6-24x, so this scope is preferably used for long distance shooting. With all of the features to enhance accuracy, it almost seems a waste to shoot at anything less than 18x.
However, it still works perfectly for mid-range shots as well.
Unfortunately, the Vortex Viper PST does not come with any mounting or rings included.
Vortex brand scopes tend to work best with their own equipment, so I’d recommend the Vortex Optics Pro Extended Viper Cantilever Riflescopes Mounts…
…and the Vortex Optics Precision Matched Riflescope Rings.
- These Vortex Precision Matched Rings position the center of the riflescope tube at a height of 1.00 inches (25.4 mm) from the base. Will only work with Picatinny spec mounts—will not work with...
- Our Precision Matched Rings are kept in pairs throughout the manufacturing process — ensuring perfection from one set to another.
- We start with certified USA 7075 T6 billet aluminum and hold it to an extremely tight tolerance of .0005 using our precision Computer Numeric Controlled (CNC) mill.
This adds around $300 to the overall purchase, but it’s well worth it.
If you’re looking for a long distance rifle scope that performs far above its price, then the Vortex Viper PST is the scope for you.
- Extremely durable
- Bright crisp picture
- Impressive eye relief
- Daylight bright illumination
- Advanced zero stop system
To sum it up: while not cheap, this scope performs far beyond its price range.
It’s a very high tech long distance scope that boasts amazing picture quality and precise easy adjustments. It’s everything a long distance shooter could want condensed into an incredibly durable package.
Vortex also offers a lifetime warranty, so any mishap or damage can be easily fixed.
With all of these features and no real flaws, I can’t recommend this scope enough. It’s a lightweight long distance scope that will give excellent performance for years, so if this is what you’re looking for then the answer is right here in the Vortex Viper PST.
- The Viper PST 6-24x50 Second Focal Plane boasts features associated with top-tier scopes. The one-piece, shock proof 30mm tube, precision-machined from a single solid block of aircraft-grade aluminum,...
- Matching reticle and turret measurements allow accurate, fast dialing of shots. The EBR-1 (Enhanced Battle Reticle) is a hashmarked ranging reticle using MOA based subtension lines for ranging,...
- Customizable Rotational Stop (CRS) aids in return to zero after dialing temporary elevation correction. Precision-force spring system uses premium components in the erector-spring system to ensure...